Per serving: 229 calories, 15g fat (0.5g saturated), 20g carbohydrate
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 45 minutes
6 red peppers, stalks left on, halved and deseeded
150g (5oz) dairy-free pesto
2 small red onions, thinly sliced 3 garlic cloves, cut into slivers 12 mixed red and yellow baby plum tomatoes, halved
12 green or black olives, pitted Olive oil, to drizzle
Small handful basil leaves, to garnish
1. Heat the oven to 190C, 170C fan, 375F, gas 5. Place the peppers, cut-side up, in a lightly oiled shallow roasting tin.
2. Spoon a teaspoon of pesto into each half, then add some of the onion, garlic sliver, tomato halves and olives. Place the remaining onion slices all over the tray.
3. Drizzle the peppers and onion with oil, then bake for about 45 minutes. Leave to stand for 10 minutes, then garnish with basil.
To make dairy-free pesto, blend a large bunch of basil • 6tbsp olive oil • 75g (3oz) pine nuts and 2 garlic cloves. It keeps 2-3 days in the fridge.
Vodka chilli prawns
Per serving: 65 calories, 0.5g fat (0.2g saturated), 0.5g carbohydrate
Prep time: 5 minutes plus marinating
Cooking time: 5 minutes
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red chilli, sliced through
18 large unpeeled raw prawns
12 cherry tomatoes, chopped 3tbsp vodka
Few sprigs parsley, chopped
1. Mix all the ingredients in a food bag. Leave to marinate for at least 4 hours.
2. Cook over a hot grill for 3 to 4 minutes, turning once, until cooked through.
Thai cucumber salad
Per serving: 107 calories, 5.5g fat (1g saturated), 9.5g carbohydrate
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
2 cucumbers, peeled
4 spring onions or shallots, thinly sliced
1tbsp coriander, roughly chopped
1tbsp mint, roughly chopped 25g (1oz) cashew nuts or peanuts, toasted and roughly chopped
1tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
For the dressing
3tbsp rice wine vinegar 1tbsp caster sugar
1 garlic clove, finely chopped 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
1. Halve the cucumber lengthways, scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon. Slice diagonally into 1cm (½in) slices. Place in a serving bowl with the onions, coriander, mint and cashew nuts.
2. Place all the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl and whisk together until the sugar has dissolved. pour over the cucumber, mix well and scatter with sesame seeds.
This salad can be made a couple of hours in advance as the vinegar helps to keep everything nice and crisp.
Spatchcock chicken with roaster pepper & aubergine salad
Per serving: 474 calories, 23g fat (5g saturated), 13g carbohydrate
Prep time: 20 minutes plus marinating
Cooking time: 1 Hour
1.3kg (3lb) free-range spatchcock chicken
1tbsp harissa paste
2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1tsp cumin seeds, lightly crushed 2tbsp tahini
250g (9oz) soya plain yoghurt Juice ½ lemon
For the salad
Bunch coriander, chopped, extra to serve 2 courgettes, sliced
1 aubergine, sliced
3 mixed peppers, deseeded and sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
Pinch chilli fakes
2tbsp olive oil
You will need: 2 long skewers
1. Push the skewers diagonally through the chicken. Rub the harissa, 1tbsp oil and the cumin over the skin, and cook the chicken, breast side down and covered on the barbecue, or grill, skin side up, for 1 hour, turning every 10 minutes until the juices run clear. Leave to rest for 20 minutes.
2. Mix the salad ingredients and add to a roasting tin. Grill for 15 to 20 minutes, turning, or thread on skewers and barbecue.
3. Mix the tahini, yoghurt, lemon juice and 1tbsp oil. Serve the chicken on top of the vegetables, scattered with coriander, with the sauce on the side.
Cooking a whole chicken on the BBQ is a great way to serve an alfresco Sunday lunch. The fragrant rub is delicious on any meat you want to BBQ.
Juicy mackerel with summery salsa
Per serving: 300 calories, 25g fat (7g saturated), 0g carbohydrate
Prep time: 10 minutes
4 mackerel fillets
1 large orange, cut into segments Juice of 1 lime
Juice of 1 lemon
1 small red onion, finely sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
Flat leaf parsley and lime quarters
Peel the orange, getting rid of all the pith. Ease out the segments of the orange, using any spare juice over the mackerel before grilling the fish on the barbecue for around ten minutes. For the salsa, slice the red onion thinly, toss with the orange and the juices of the lime and lemon. Pour over the olive oil and season to taste. To finish, scatter over a handful of parsley.
Gluten free pitta bread
Per serving: 125 calories, 1.5g fat (0g saturated), 25g carbohydrate
Prep time: 20 minutes
plus time to rise
Cooking time: 25 minutes
500g gluten free bread flour 1tsp xanthan gum
300ml hot water
1. Mix all the ingredients together to form a smooth dough and keep kneading until the dough becomes elastic in consistency.
2. Leave the dough to rise for 20 minutes.
3. Divide into 4 pieces and flatten into disc shapes about 1cm thick.
4. Cook in a shallow frying pan for about 4 minutes until slightly browned.
Per serving: 300 calories, 25g fat (7g saturated), 0.5g carbohydrate
Prep time: 10 minutes plus marinating
Cooking time: 10 minutes
4 boneless chicken breasts 4 tbsp olive oil
juice of one lemon
1 clove minced garlic
2 tbsp. dried oregano
Salt and pepper
1. Place all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix until well combined.
2. Cover and refrigerate for an hour. Thread the chicken onto skewers. Cook on the barbecue (or under the grill) for around 8-10 minute or until the juices run clear.