Welcome to our 30-day bum and tum workout challenge! If you're looking to build a firmer, perkier butt along with a more toned tum, this is the challenge for you.
We've enlisted to the help of personal trainer Hannah Bright (opens in new tab) to create this 2-in-1 workout plan. Designed to whip your bum (that's your butt, for our North American readers) and tum into shape sharpish, it incorporates some of the best glute exercises and best ab workouts. But that's not all...
As well as targeting your bum and tum in one go, the plan will also help you to burn fat. The plan involves big compound moves such as squats and thrusts, which incorporate a lot of muscle groups - which in turn means more calories burned.
Ready to get started? First you'll need to move the six key moves that make up our 30-day bum and tum workout challenge...
Bum and tum workout challenge: six key moves
Our 30-day bum and tum workout challenge is built around six key moves, which are outlined below.
It begins with three basic moves - hip thrusts, squats and donkey kicks -which you'll do during the first half of the challenge. From there, we progress to three more advanced moves: sumo deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts and V tucks.
You'll need a set of dumbbells for the deadlifts. The weight you chose to work with is up to you, based on your starting strength and ability. If in doubt, start light to avoid injury - you can always increase the load as you feel more capable. A set of adjustable dumbbells is a good option, as they allow you to increase and decrease the load as you like - check out our pick of the best adjustable dumbbells if you don't already own some.
- Lie on your back with knees bent, feet flat on floor and hands by your sides.
- Engage core and glutes and lift your hips off the floor, so you form a straight line from your chest to your knees.
- Pause, then lower down.
- Stand with feet hip-width apart.
- Bend knees and push your bottom back and down into a squat position.
- Keep your chest up and look forwards.
- Push up through your legs and return to the start.
Loving the squats? We don't blame you - they're one of the very best moves you can do for your booty! Discover more variations in our comprehensive how to do squats guide, or else consider trying our 30-day squats challenge.
- Go on all fours with hands under shoulders and knees under hips.
- Lift right leg up behind you so your thigh is in line with your bottom, the sole of your foot is facing the ceiling and your knee is making a right angle.
- Pause and lower down, then repeat with your left leg.
- Stand with feet wider than shoulder-width apart with a dumbbell in each hand (in overhand grip).
- Squat down, lowering the dumbbells in between your legs.
- Engage core and glutes and push back up to standing.
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, knees soft, torso upright, holding a dumbbell in each hand (in overhand grip).
- Hinge forwards at your hips and push your butt back, keeping legs fairly straight – your torso should end up almost parallel to the floor.
- To finish, push your butt forward – your torso should follow – until you’re back in the starting position.
Fan of the deadlifts? This dynamic weightlifting move is particularly great for toning and strengthening your legs, butt and lower back, which can help prevent posture problems and back pain in later life - bonus. Check out our guide on how to do a deadlift for more variations on the move, or - if you feel ready to take on a new challenge - see our article on how to deadlift properly with barbells.
- Sit on the floor, knees bent at 90° and arms outstretched in front of you.
- Lift your feet off the floor then, as you extend your legs out in front of you, slightly lean your torso back by around 45°.
- Engage your muscles to bring your torso and legs back to the starting position.
Bum and tum workout challenge: your 30-day plan
Once you've got the moves down, you're ready to get started on our 30-day bum and tum workout challenge.
Below you'll find which moves you need to do one each day of the challenge, along with how many reps to perform. As outlined above, the first half of the challenge starts with the basic moves, progressing to the more advanced moves in the latter half. Each day that passes you'll increase the number of reps you do of each move in order to build up slowly, which will allow you to focus on your form (and in turn will help prevent injury).
You'll also be pleased to learn that the plan includes several rest days. No matter how good you're feeling, don't be tempted to skip these! Giving your body time to recover after exercise is so important, as this is when the muscles recuperate.
All set? Let's do this!
5 x Hip thrust
5 x Squat
5 x Donkey kick
6 x Hip thrust
6 x Squat
6 x Donkey kick
7 x Hip thrust
7 x Squat
7 x Donkey kick
8 x Hip thrust
8 x Squat
8 x Donkey kick
REST DAY! Consider taking a bath, getting a massage or grabbing a foam roller to roll out your aching muscles. We've picked the best foam rollers for you.
9 x Hip thrusts
9 x Squats
9 x Donkey kicks
10 x Hip thrusts
10 x Squats
10 x Donkey kicks
11 x Hip thrusts
11 x Squats
11 x Donkey kicks
12 x Hip thrusts
12 x Squats
12 x Donkey kicks
14 x Hip thrusts
14 x Squats
14 x Donkey kicks
16 x Hip thrusts
16 x Squats
16 x Donkey kicks
18 x Hip thrusts
18 x Squats
18 x Donkey kicks
14 x Hip thrusts
14 x Squats
14 x Donkey kicks
5 x Sumo deadlifts
5 x Romanian deadlifts
5 x V tucks
6 x Sumo deadlifts
6 x Romanian deadlifts
6 x V tucks
7 x Sumo deadlifts
7 x Romanian deadlifts
7 x V tucks
8 x Sumo deadlifts
8 x Romanian deadlifts
8 x V tucks
9 x Sumo deadlifts
9 x Romanian deadlifts
9 x V tucks
10 x Sumo deadlifts
10 x Romanian deadlifts
10 x V tucks
11 x Sumo deadlifts
11 x Romanian deadlifts
11 x V tucks
12 x Sumo deadlifts
12 x Romanian deadlifts
12 x V tucks
14 x Sumo deadlifts
14 x Romanian deadlifts
14 x V tucks
16 x Sumo deadlifts
16 x Romanian deadlifts
16 x V tucks
18 x Sumo deadlifts
18 x Romanian deadlifts
18 x V tucks
20 x Sumo deadlifts
20 x Romanian deadlifts
20 x V tucks
Congratulations! You’ve completed our 30-day bum and tum workout challenge! Share your results with us on Instagram @wearefitandwell (opens in new tab).
Liked this? Try more 30-day challenges:
30-day abs challenge: your best ever abs in just one month
30-day arms challenge: increase strength and definition
30-day killer curves challenge: sculpt your bust, waist and butt
Natalia is a health and fitness journalist who has written for the likes of Woman & Home and Marie Claire, and likes to practice what she preaches when it comes to staying fit and well. She loves the outdoors and would happily swap the treadmill for the trail at any opportunity. As such, in her free time you'll likely find her up a mountain somewhere. She has hiked eight of the major mountain ranges across four continents, including the Appalachians, the Smokies, the Sierra Nevadas (where she hiked to the top of Half Dome during her honeymoon) and the Atlas Mountains, as well hitting the summits of Snowdon and Pen-Y-Fan (Brecon Beacons), Table Mountain in South Africa and the Blue Mountains in Australia. She was also a fencer for 13 years, wielding an epée for Team GB during her teenage years. Having recently welcomed a baby, Natalia is currently getting back into her fitness routine, and has her sights set on completing a triathlon, something she and her husband started out on before their bundle of joy arrived.