If your jeans are suddenly feeling a tad tight around the middle and you're wondering how to get a slim waist, we’re here to help. Our easy flat tummy diet plan saves calories, boosts your metabolism, and takes advantage of foods scientifically proven to burn belly fat.
What’s more, you can expect to lose up to three pounds a week, depending on your age, how active you are and how much you need to lose.
In addition to following the diet plan outlined below, we also recommend following an exercise schedule that is designed to burn fat (try a HIIT workout) and target the core - see our guides to the best exercises for weight loss and best workouts for abs, or give our 30 day ab challenge a try.
How the flat tummy diet plan works
We’ve kept things really simple. Just choose a breakfast, lunch and dinner from the list below, plus two snacks a day. There are six options for each of the three main meals, so there’s enough variety to keep things exciting and avoid boredom - a diet plan’s worst enemy.
Matcha is also a pivotal part of the diet plan to lose belly fat. Each morning at breakfast, and once as part of your snacks, enjoy a matcha latte. Simply whisk 1⁄2tsp matcha powder into 150ml cold or hot skimmed milk.
Matcha is powdered green tea, which is rich in a substance called epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). Studies have shown this catechin compound enhances fat loss, particularly around the belly.
Flat tummy diet plan: breakfasts
- A wholewheat bagel: spread with low-fat cream cheese and a little smoked salmon.
- 2 Weetabix: topped with 1 chopped pear and 1tbsp flaked almonds, served with 150ml skimmed milk.
- A slice of granary toast: with 2 scrambled eggs and 1⁄2 a grilled tomato. One orange.
- 40g jumbo oats: soaked in 100ml pure apple juice overnight. In the morning, mix with 3 chopped Brazil nuts, 1⁄2 a grated apple and 2 tbsp fat-free greek yogurt.
- Open sandwich: a slice of granary bread, thinly layered with low-fat olive spread and topped with 1 sliced tomato, a few sprigs of watercress and 1 sliced hard-boiled egg.
- Smoothie bowl: made with 150ml skimmed milk, 1 small banana, 1tbsp sesame seeds, 1⁄2tsp ground cinnamon and 1tsp honey (optional). Whizz it all together in one of the best blenders.
Flat tummy diet plan: lunches
- A small spicy-marinated chicken breast: shredded, served with salad leaves, and dressed with 1 tbsp reduced-fat salad cream, in a wholemeal pitta bread. One piece of fruit.
- A small tin of tuna in brine: tossed with a salad of cherry tomatoes, celery, cucumber and baby leaf, with 2 oatcakes. One orange or pear.
- A prawn and salad sandwich: dressed in reduced-fat salad cream, in wholemeal bread with 3 cherry tomatoes. One satsuma.
- A 10cm piece of French bread with 1oz (25g) Brie: 12 grapes and one pear. One small slice of malt loaf.
- A spicy mixed bean salad: with low-fat dressing, served on a bed of baby gem lettuce. One slice of melon or watermelon.
- Rice salad: made with 1.4oz (40g) brown rice (uncooked weight), 3.5oz (100g) torn chicken or turkey, one diced pepper, one sliced spring onion, one diced and de-seeded cucumber, 5 halved grapes and fat-free vinaigrette.
Flat tummy diet plan: dinners
- 5.3oz (150g) tuna steak: grilled, with 4 tbsp mixed vegetable couscous, green beans and a large mixed salad.
- Frittata: made with 2 eggs, 1tsp dried mixed herbs, ground black pepper and a pinch of salt, and 3 sliced cooked baby new potatoes. Serve with mixed steamed veg or salad.
- 3.5oz (100g) chicken breast: dusted with cajun spices, bake at 200°c/gas 6 for about 20 mins with mushrooms, tomatoes, onion wedges, chunks of red pepper and courgette. Serve with 3 baby new boiled potatoes, broccoli and carrots.
- 3.5oz (100g) lean steak: grilled and served with 5.3oz (150g) baked potato wedges, grilled mushrooms and tomatoes, and a large mixed salad with fat-free dressing.
- Quorn or vegetarian cottage pie under 450 calories: plus plenty of steamed carrots and broccoli.
- Two grilled 95% fat-free or vegetarian sausages: served with 3.5oz (100g) potatoes, mashed with 1tbsp fat-free greek yogurt, and ground black pepper, 2tbsp fat-free gravy, carrots and cabbage.
For a healthier way to prepare the meats in this list, consider using one of the best grills, which help excess fat drain away - making it a better option than traditional grilling, roasting or pan-frying.
Flat tummy diet plan: snacks
Enjoy a matcha latte plus one the following daily:
- A cereal bar under 110cals
- A bowl of veggie sticks with 2tbsp low-fat humous for dipping
- 4 dried apricots
- 2 Brazil nuts
- 2 crispbreads sandwiched together with 2tbsp low-fat cream cheese
- 1 apple cut into wedges with 1tbsp peanut butter for dipping
- 3.5oz (150g) pot fat-free fruit yogurt
To help you stay on track with the flat tummy diet plan, we've created this handy visual guide to all the meal and snack options. Save it to your device for quick reference when out shopping or in the kitchen!
Flat tummy diet plan tips
- Ditch the salt
Too much salt causes water retention that can give you a bloated, puffy look. We get most of our salt from processed foods, so cook from scratch, and shop for the foods with a green traffic light for salt.
- Consider taking a probiotic supplement
Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that help crowd out the harmful gut bacteria which ferment and can contribute to a bloated belly.
Also, look out for foods rich in prebiotics. Onions, garlic and artichokes are naturally rich in them, and you can also buy prebiotic-fortifed foods.
- Think about your posture
Slouching can give you a pot belly, even if you’re the ideal weight. Stand tall and hold in your tummy! Pilates is great for posture, as well as the core muscles around your abdomen that give you that fat look.
Get Fit for 2021 with Fit&Well
As the sun rises on a brand new year, Fit&Well is here to help put last year behind you and make 2021 your happiest, healthiest yet. Here at fitandwell.com, we’ll be bringing you a wealth of workouts, diet plans and expert advice throughout January to help kick-start your health and fitness goals.
Here's a really easy way to check your fitness and heart health
Fitness Running up four flights of stairs in less than a minute is a great indicator of good heart health, according to science
By Matt Evans •
Best yoga mats: High-quality, easy-clean, grippy mats for every budget
Buying guide Our round-up of the best yoga mats, suitable for all types of yoga styles from Ashtanga to Yin
By Kat Bayly •
What happens to your body when you give up coffee for a week? We tried it
Nutrition Our writer gives up his favourite morning cup o' joe and tests its effects on sleep, mood and more
By Matt Evans •
These healthy diet tips will help prevent anxiety and depression, says research
Nutrition Gut health plays a key role in how good – or bad – we feel. Here's what to eat to curtail anxiety and depression symptoms
By Matt Evans •
Five vegan sources of omega-3: Improve your health, boost your mood and more
Nutrition These vegan sources of omega-3 fatty acids will keep you on top form, while staying true to your plant-based diet.
By Maddy Biddulph •
Best vegan cookbooks: The top guides to delicious plant-based meals and snacks
Buying Guide We round up the best vegan cookbooks for both experienced vegan cooks and those trying plant-based eating for the first time this Veganuary
By Fit&Well •
Does fasting work? The case for and against, by expert nutritionists
Weight Loss Hailed as the easy way to lose weight quickly, is fasting everything it’s cracked up to be – or just another diet fad?
By Fit&Well •
Healthy smoothie recipes: 6 delicious health-boosting drink ideas
Recipe Feel the health benefits of these tasty healthy smoothie recipes, devised by a registered dietician
By Fit&Well •
Portion size guide: Keep your weight-loss goals on track, avoid bloating and more
Nutrition Our handy portion size guide will show you how to balance the perfect plate at every meal...
By Lucy Gornall •
8 supplements that may be beneficial for women
Nutrition A healthy diet doesn’t always provide us with everything we need, which is where supplementation can come in useful
By Lucy Gornall •